1. Reframe the "self-care is selfish" stigma. The stigma of putting ourselves first is real (hello, mom guilt, wife guilt, family guilt, work guilt!). The truth is, self-care benefits you and everyone around you. If you take the time to care for your body and mind through routines that nourish you, you'll have the energy to bring your best self to the table for others too!
2. Schedule self-care time as you would any other commitments. Book yourself for workouts and downtime in your calendar well in advance. Consider setting reminders on your phone. Treat it as a “must-do” just as you would doing groceries, and do it!
The Fit Body Project makes it easy to plan your workouts ahead of time, sharing our full monthly class schedule in advance. Check out the current class schedule on our Classes page!
3. Keep your mind open & try something new! Keeping your journey fresh and exciting is motivating. Try a new recipe. Challenge yourself to a new workout class. Invite a friend to join in the fun. Book that personal training session you've been curious about. You just may find something you love!
4. Set yourself up for success. There are so many ways to do this! Here are a few go-tos we love to do the evening before a workout: lay out your workout clothes, open The Fit Body Project website on your computer so it is the first thing you see when you log on in the AM, lay out your yoga mat or equipment in a place you can’t avoid it.
5. Listen to your body, and honour what it is telling you. Don’t ignore your body’s cues --it is talking to you for a reason!
For example, if a specific movement doesn’t feel right, don’t push it; opt for a modification that suits you. If a high-intensity workout feels draining rather than energizing, opt for something lower-impact such as pilates, barre, yoga --or take a rest day! The Fit Body Project has you covered with a variety of workouts to align with whatever message your body is telling you.
6. Don’t be afraid of being a beginner! Drop the belief that you need to be “good” at something to enjoy it, and just do it! What matters most is that you are moving, having fun, and showing up for yourself.
We understand that trying something new can be daunting, and are here to support you. If you ever have any questions or concerns before a Fit Body Project workout, please do not hesitate to reach out!
7. Don't be so hard on yourself. Remember you are human! When it comes to healthy lifestyle changes, a balanced approach is key. Rigid mindsets and restricting tend to result in short-term “success” and longer-term flops. Stick to what feels good for your mind and body, allow treats that satiate you, focus on how great fuelling and moving your body feels, and keep on going!
At The Fit Body Project, we value direction more than speed. Be consistent with your exercise routine, and your body will start to become stronger and more able to adapt to the new challenges you're introducing to it!
8. Drop comparison —period. No good will come of comparing your unique journey and body to someone else’s (or even a past version of yourself!). Pour your energy into showing your present body the love it deserves!
9. Practice an attitude of gratitude. Your body is incredible! Acknowledging all of the seemingly small, amazing things your body enables you to do on a daily basis will help you appreciate it even more and motivate you to treat it well.
10. Show your body love with nourishing food. Your body needs fuel to function. Focus on getting in foods packed with nutrients (hello, veggies!) to get you the energy you need to thrive. For healthy recipe inspiration, be sure to check out more posts on The Fit Body blog!
11. Incorporate movement into your day-to-day activities. Put on your favourite tunes and dance as dinner cooks. Do some push-ups on the counter while you make sure the kids are brushing their teeth! Park further away from the store. Take standing or walking meetings when you can. Be playful and have fun with it!
12. Say goodbye to “cheat” and hello to “treat”! Mindfully enjoying your meals is an important part of any sustainable healthy lifestyle. Treats are satisfying and hit the spot. Cheats, in contrast, bring up feelings of guilt, shame, and stress. There is no shame in balance! Try your best to be present and enjoy it fully!
Looking for treat inspiration? Check out our feel-good Chocolate Avocado Pudding recipe here.
13. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Need we say more?! Keep that water bottle topped up and drink up!
14. Take rest days. Crush your workouts, then give your body the well-deserved time it needs to recover. Recovery is necessary to prevent injury, sustain routines, and prevent burnout. Prioritize it too!
15. Embrace the moment! While setting long-term goals is great, it’s also important to enjoy the steps that get you there. Embrace the present moment in your journey by taking it one move at a time, one breath at a time. Don’t get too caught up in results, and instead, put your energy into crushing what you’re doing right now and how great you feel. You can do it!
16. Create a morning routine that you can't wait to wake up to. Following a regular morning routine is good for you in so many ways. Check out Andrea's tips for a kick-butt morning routine for inspiration!
17. Use screen time with intention. A great practice is to ask yourself why you picked up your phone in the first place. Once you accomplish that task, avoid the temptation to scroll. Your time is so valuable -- spend it living your life vibrantly (getting that workout in, enjoying that meal fully, noticing the beauty in what's around you) instead of mindlessly looking at a screen. You may be surprised how much happier you feel and more productive you become!
18. Mind your form. Proper form is absolutely key for having an effective workout and preventing injury. Make a point to refresh on your form basics regularly, so you can crush every workout with confidence!
Looking to dive deep into amazing form? Consider reaching out for a one-on-one consultation with The Fit Body Project - we're here to help!
19. Lift others up. If the 2020 pandemic has collectively taught us anything, it is that there is so much power in community. Cheering each other on in our mutual missions for healthier, happier lives is at the heart of Team Fit Body. We're all so much stronger, inside and out, for it!
20. Have fun! Forget the common notion that being fit and healthy always has to be serious. Embrace that each step of this journey is meant to leave you feeling good.
21. Celebrate your journey. Take time to acknowledge how far you've come and how much you've learned along the way. Give yourself credit for showing up day after day. You rock -- don't forget it!